Key West Track & Field Club, Inc. (KWTFC) is a non-profit corporation organized for charitable and educational purposes, including the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations, under Section 501c (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
KWTFC is a member club of the United State Track and Field organization (USATF). The same organization that sends our athletes to the Olympic Games and sponsors youth and Masters competition. Member clubs are at the heart of USA Track & Field. They provide much needed support to athletes in the form of coaching, financial support and athletic satisfaction. It is with, and through, the clubs that USATF is able to carry out its mission: “The mission of USA Track & Field is to foster sustained competitive excellence, interest, and participation in the sports of track & field, long distance running, and race walking.”
The focus and goals of each club are as unique and diverse as the athletes who compete for them. Some clubs focus primarily on elite development, while others specialize in youth or masters programs. Some are solely track & field clubs, while others provide support to only race walkers, throwers, or distance runners. What ever the case may be, each club is vital to the sport’s future in the United States.
Key West Track & Field Club’s mission is to raise money for Key West area high school track and field teams and promote the sport of track and field within the Lower Keys community. Our major initiatives are the following:
Fund raising for the Key West High School track team
- Did you know that sometimes kids are left at home and cannot compete because there are not enough funds for buses and drivers for all the kids that want to compete in an away track meet?
- Do you realize how old and dilapidated the equipment they use can be? An example is the 20+ year old pole vault pit that was completely flooded during Wilma. The foam is turning to dust. The rain cover has large holes.
- There are lots of needs for a program that is not funded by the school district.
Create a track and field program for middle school students.
- Except for a city wide track meet for 5th graders run by the Masonic Lodge there is no developmental program for track and field before high school.
Provide an organized track and field program for Masters (age 30+) level competitors.
Create an annual world-class Pole Vault meet every winter in Key West.
- We have seen other beach communities attract 100’s of pole vaulters to a one-day event. What better place is there to vault than Key West in January or February?
- Not only will this event serve as a primary fund raiser but also help the local hospitality community by putting heads in the beds and people in the restaurants.